Tuesday, February 28, 2012

America's Eating Disorder


            Reading the final section of Omnivore’s Dilemma brought a lot of clarity to the ideas and worries that have been spinning around in my head since I began.  The idea that American food culture is so much about fads and trends is scary to think about, but also totally accurate.  It is the biggest irony that we are so concerned about having “healthy” diets and yet have a large number of people with eating disorders and yet we also have such an issue with obesity. 
            The impressionability of the American people seems to be deeply rooted in our capitalist culture, as Michael Pollan briefly mentions.  We are constantly bombarded with the marketing strategies of hundreds of companies attempting to differentiate their product.  In turn this leads to a trust in the media that can end up being very dangerous when it comes to a constantly changing diet.  As a business major and, I thought, a supporter of capitalism, I have a hard time figuring out what to say about things like this.  While I do realize that this type of free market and unlimited media provides a lot of American jobs, maybe the implications aren’t as positive as I would like to think.  However, even though I am questioning, I’m glad I am finally thinking about these things.
            After reading this book I cannot help but notice that my habits are a little bit embarrassingly main stream, I buy into the fads a lot.  I am all about buying soy milk, organic cereals and even organic frozen dinners.  I really didn’t begin this until I was able to purchase my own food; this isn’t the kind of food that my parents buy.  I picked up this behavior from friends and also my best friend’s family which was very much my own.  Now, I continue to eat these foods mostly because I like them, but also because I think they are better for me, though after reading the second section I’m not so sure.  This is power of corporate and word of mouth marketing, making us see things from only one side, all pros.
I think there are positive ways to use the power of trends to make positive and healthy changes in our country and we should explore these.  This is the kind of thing that has fueled the “green” movement that, while it might not be fully understood by the people who participate, is a good way to follow a fad.  I can only hope that at some point, though I’m not sure how, we will be able to return to a food system that makes more economic and social sense than political.

1 comment:

  1. I can really relate a lot here-- reading this book got me questioning the concept of organic cereal, organic milk, etc. These are things that I buy as well, and I'm wondering just how much of their appeal is from marketing.

    ReplyDelete