Thursday, February 9, 2012

Pre-Rustica


My roommate, Hannah, has been raving about Rustica ever since I arrived here in Kalamazoo freshman year.  She talks about the duck, the bread, and the desserts in such loving terms that I have always wanted to go, to test out her claims.  I always intended to go with my parents, so that they would pay, but never had the occasion or time when they visited.  Tomorrow night I will finally be going, and I am excited!
            On the website, Rustica identifies itself as a restaurant serving “Rustic European Cuisine.”  Too bad there are so many countries in Europe with so many different food cultures, so what area is this food representing?  Digging in further, “Rustica blends influences from France, Italy, Spain and other European countries with regional Michigan fare.”  This sounds very much like Americanized-authentic, which makes me excited.  Rustica also uses as much local produce and meats as possible, which I am in full support of.
            Moving onto the online menu, I begin to be a little hesitant.  The appetizer section presents dishes like mussels and scallops at prices I would normally pay for a full meal at Panera, but oh well.  Not being a big meat eater, the sight of main dishes with names like “Grilled Duck Breast” and “Braised Lamb Shank” have me cringing.  However, as this is supposed to be a crossing into a totally new experience, I will force myself to try out one of these meat dishes as my main course, maybe even the “Grilled Hanger Steak!”  Getting to the desserts, names like tiramisu, red velvet cake, and chocolate éclair make my mouth water.  I will definitely be writing a full section on these delectable.  Maybe not, but you can bet I will try at least two!
            Food aside, I am a little nervous that it will be weird for me to write during the dining experience, especially since I am going with a friend.  I worry that the review might take away from the full dining experience, so I will do my best to stay focused but also write as many notes as possible.  I’m so glad to have my iPhone at instances like this so I can type and take pictures all on one device, hopefully I will be less conspicuous that way.  I’m severely disappointed that I can not give you all a good review of the wine list, but I don’t think anyone believes I’m 21.
            Overall, I am so excited for this new experience and a reason to try out this restaurant!  I hope all of you have great success with your dining experiences as well.  Can’t wait to read them all. 

1 comment:

  1. Cassie,

    I think it was a good idea to find out Rusticas's menu online. That helped you to clarify your expectations! Yes, I know it is kind of weird to take pictures and write down while your are eating. But think it's gonna be a unique experience!

    ReplyDelete